August 1, 2018
The Feminist Press is seeking a full-time editorial assistant who is passionate and knowledgeable about feminist, mission-driven publishing. The Editorial Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and editorial support to the Senior Editor as well as the Executive Director, involved in all stages of the acquisition, editorial, and book-making processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Copyediting and proofreading manuscripts and contributing to overall publishing strategy.
- Proofreading publicity and marketing materials, grants, and other office collateral.
- Reading, tracking, and reporting on agented and unsolicited submissions.
- Assisting with CIP and copyright tracking and application processes.
- Administrative management: handling mail; organizing and maintaining files; scheduling, photocopying, printing, and emailing.
- Managing and preparing manuscripts in all stages of production.
- Providing foreign rights support, liaising with subagents, rights-fair scheduling, pitching, and creating promotional materials.
- Managing digital production of all titles.
- Generating promotional copy for catalogs, book jackets, and sales-related materials.
- Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing, and other staff to relay messages and follow up on requests/information.
- Providing support at book launches, book-selling opportunities, and fundraising events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one year of relevant administrative, publishing, or media experience preferred (internships ok).
- Must be able to work full business hours from FP’s New York City office.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and strong interest in intersectional feminism, social justice, literary fiction, activist nonfiction, and feminist children’s books.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Must develop internal and external rapport with all levels of FP stakeholders. Must be a team player who is capable of handling sensitive, critical information, and is open to receiving feedback and directions.
- Must possess a “can do” attitude. Candidates must be proactive, self-directed, and flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
- Proven ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively while demonstrating good follow up and follow through.
- Must be detailed oriented and diligent about ensuring that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Acrobat, and Chicago style. InDesign skills are a plus.
- One to two page writing sample required, along with three references.
- You will also be asked to take a copyediting test.
Salary commensurate on experience, ranging from $31,000 to $35,000, and full benefits offered.
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references as PDFs to email@example.com. Subject line should read: Editorial Assistant – Your Full Name. No phone calls please. Application deadline is September 3, 2018.
The Feminist Press is an educational nonprofit organization founded to advance women’s rights and amplify feminist perspectives. FP publishes classic and new writing from around the world, creates cutting-edge programs, and elevates silenced and marginalized voices in order to support personal transformation and social justice for all people.
The Feminist Press is an equal employment opportunity organization and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of sex, race, age, creed, ethnicity, disability, marital or parenting status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We actively seek to maintain a diverse staff.