Employment at the Feminist Press
We are currently seeking a publicist to join our team!
Publicist at the Feminist Press
The Feminist Press is a nonprofit independent literary publisher that promotes voices on the margins of dominant culture. We publish feminist work from around the world, inspiring personal transformation and social justice. We believe that books have the power to shift culture, and create a society free of violence, sexism, homophobia, racism, cis-supremacy, classism, sizeism, ableism, and other forms of dehumanization. The Feminist Press was founded to recover a lost literature and has gone on to publish some of the most significant writers of our time, including Zora Neale Hurston, Paule Marshall, Bridgett M. Davis, Michelle Tea, Sarah Schulman, and Virginie Despentes.
The publicist will:
- Contribute to the development of strategic media plans (traditional, new, and social) from concept to execution for 12-15 books a year.
- Pitch creatively, liaise daily with authors and the media, and develop relationships with valuable outlets—particularly literary and activist outlets.
- Track media placements and perform constant follow up; prepare media recaps and reports for both internal use and for author review; submit books for awards; keep authors, in-house staff, and distributors updated on publicity activities; schedule author events and publicize events to local media.
- Collaborate with marketing team to create partnerships and campaigns and develop digital strategy.
- Demonstrate a nuanced understanding of social justice movements and cultural conversations.
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal skills, confident and engaging style in communicating with media and authors, and a proven ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks.
A bachelor’s degree and at least four years of paid work experience in public relations and/or media as well as strong existing relationships in the industry. Salary is commensurate with experience. Full dental and medical benefits.
Please send resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (ideally a pitch) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “publicist position” in the subject line. LGBTQ people and people of color are encouraged to apply. The deadline to apply is November 30, 2016 and we are looking to fill this position by the end of the year.